How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1532
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am on the condo board. We have a quote to be done on the

Customer Question

I am on the condo board. We have a quote for work to be done on the terraces (7) floors. I live on the 2nd floor and of course the only board member with a terrace. Anyway, the condo attorney has agreed that the cement work is structural and should be paid for my the association while the railings should be repaired and maintained by the unit owners based on the house declaration that states we need to repair and maintain our terraces. For 55 years, these terraces were maintained by the association until the new management and new board members came in.
My question: With a quote of $140,000, they want the terrace unit owners to pay for half. I think this is unfair since most of the work is on the structural and there is scaffolling which I live on the 2nd floor. At our next board meeting at the end of the month, I want to state that we need another quote first of all and second, we should be allowed to have our own terraces scraped and painted at our own costs if it is less than the quote states.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. As a condominium owner, and a Board member you can ask for a second quote for the extensive work because you believe the costs is inflated and unfairly apportioned between cement work and railing replacement/repair. You also have a right to challenge the assessment under your by-laws. You should get together a large group of affected unit owners and bring the concern regarding the cost to the Board, and attempt to reach a compromise. Another alternative is a legal challenge by a group of owners challenging the assessed costs to the unit owners as arbitrary and not in compliance with the by-laws. I hope this helps with your question.