Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I bought a house joining with another person in the way if I die she will owner 100% and vice-versa.

Customer Question
I want to sell my...
I bought a house joining with another person in the way if I die she will owner 100% and vice-versa. I want to sell my part can I do that without her permission
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What you are talking about is a "joint tenancy with right of survivorship". If you decide to sell your half to someone, that will sever the joint tenancy and convert it into a "tenancy in common" where both parties own 50% and it would pass down to their heirs if they die.

.

So yes, there is nothing that would prevent you from selling your half without informing the other owner as that is your right.

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can I do that because the other person say she won't sign anything

Yes, as I said, you don't have to have permission of the other owner to sell... You an sell your 50% to anyone you want to and just transfer your interest to them via a quitclaim deed.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer