How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 33555
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bough my house in 1998 for $62,000 put $12,000 down the

Customer Question

I bough my house in 1998 for $62,000 put $12,000 down the following year refinanced at lower rate for full amount $62,000 paid off bills then again in about eight years I had to borrow 5,000 to pay taxes but nothing else and never again and now the mrtg co is saying I owe over 80,000 on my home and I still thirty year mrtg on it yes I been late once or twice but always caught up
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how can I prove that the mrtg co is steeling from me that my house should be paid off that I don't owe that money
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At one point I was paying a $1,100 mrtg monthly just to keep my house this went on for about a year and I finally told them I just couldn't do it anymore
I'm living on a fixed in come
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

You do that by getting an itemized print out of that account from the mortgage company and then comparing it to the checks you have sent. That should show where the error occurred. They may have been applying it to the wrong account, etc.

The paperwork is how you prove your case though. You can also hire an accountant to do it if you prefer. You have to spend money then but they will likely spot things quicker than you will if you don't do accounting regularly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We're can I find a legal library that I can use?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Are you talking about looking up case law?

Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

And online or one you can visit in person?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just something I can read myself is there a law library I would have access to?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

YOu can go to any law school and they will have a library and most of them will let you access their books. Some courthouses will have law libraries as well but they're usually not very good.

Google has a "hidden" section that has case law at

You can get a good, inexpensive ebook on how to do legal research using Google Scholar at

That one is very easy to understand and provides a lot of info.

Related Real Estate Law Questions