Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I am a landlord and a tenant recently moved out. I retained

Customer Question

I am a landlord and a tenant recently moved out. I retained a portion of their security deposit for cleaning, removing items left behind and repair. I sent them a letter explaining the deductions. I have received an email that they are contesting the charges. Do I need to respond to the email or do I wait until it escalates to the next level (I assume to be small claims court). I have reviewed their lease and believe I have a strong case.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Yes, you need to respond to the tenant, in writing, within 7 days responding to their issues. After that, the ball is in their court.

If the amount is less than $5000, they can sue in small claims, if they choose.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If the amount (including treble damages) is more than $5,000 but less than $10,000, they would need to sue in the county court for the county where the property is located.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.