How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118061
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does the 2006 IBC require that all plans over 3000 sq. ft.

Customer Question

Does the 2006 IBC require that all plans over 3000 sq. ft. be stamped by an structural engineer regardless of whether or not the existing building is effected by the room addition.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need the IBC code that dictates that the City Building Official cannot waive this requirement.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No the IBC does not contain a mandatory engineer or architect's stamp requirement for new construction or renovation. You can search the entire IBC at
There are local building codes and even local building regulations implemented by the building and planning commission that can have such requirements (I have seen that requirement in many local building department regulations), but those are not in the IBC anywhere and you can see it at the link I provided above.