How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118789
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a property that was former dentist office. It is

Customer Question

I purchased a property that was former dentist office. It is in an R1 district in Illinois. Other special use permits in R1 are multifamily dwellings and I want to convert to triplex. Do I need special use permit to continue. I am not adding on.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Since you are a new owner and you are changing over the use, even though the building was there before, you will need to apply for the special use permit, since the grandfather rights applied to the initial specific use and you are converting the use I am afraid.