How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived with my significant other 16 years. Eight years

Customer Question

I have lived with my significant other for about 16 years. Eight years ago, Dave, who owns the house we live in said bring your dad to live with us. he was in his eighties and no other siblings were willing to take him in.
Dave was laid off work shortly after my dad moved in. For the past eight years, my dad and myself have paid ALL expenses of living for ourselves and Dave. Including his mortgage, utilities, car payment, insurance, food, drink, cigarettes, gas, everything.
He had no equity in his house at the time my dad moved in. Now, he has about $150,000 if he were to sell the house. This would leave me high and dry, With my father getting older and weaker, he will not be there to help either. I feel we have both been used by Dave. I made his resume, I got him job interviews he wanted. to only ignore every one I set up until I said no more, do it yourself. Is there any way to secure part of the house for my dad and\or myself? Can I file a lien on his property? the basement has been finished recently also, to increase value. Thank you for your time.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Is your name on the deed of the house at all?

Did you have any written agreements as to the house, what you were paying, if it was to be paid back, etc?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my name is ***** ***** the deed. I pay $1,200.00 per month. dad pays $1,500 to cover his mortgage and $1,800 per month to cover expenses and cost of living. dave was always supposed to be working. he went to see an attorney to file for SSDI. he had to file an appeal which was suggested by his attorney. he assured him of being approved. his retro would not go back as far, but, he would be getting a monthly check. he never even called the lawyer back.expenses were to be split 50\50.
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

What about the second question:

Did you have any written agreements as to the house, what you were paying, if it was to be paid back, etc?