How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27230
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend is buying a house ( he is getting the loan)and

Customer Question

My boyfriend is buying a house ( he is getting the loan)and we both will be living in the house but not married ( we are getting married later). We would like to know how can we both have owner ship in the house? We both would like to know that one person cann't put the other person out of the home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In order to both have an ownership interest in the home, you both need to be on title. There is no issue/problem with him being solely on the loan, it is the title which gives ownership interest. With that being said, there are two options here. The first, is he advise his lender and/or the attorney to title agent handling the closing, that he wants to add you to title. The second, is after he buys and closes on the home, that he executes a quit claim deed and adds you to title. Moreover, once you are married, he could also add you to title, since you would want the home to be a martial asset and not be considered a non-martial asset, in the event of divorce.

Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know.

Related Real Estate Law Questions