Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

In the state of Georgia , I am a contractor , built a home

Customer Question
in 2006 , pass all...
In the state of Georgia , I am a contractor , built a home in 2006 , pass all state and city inspection building codes along with passing their bank inspections as well at the time,
and now the home has settling issues , with cracks in a few places. The owner thinks it's my fault. It was built under my Corporation, and I sign as president on the contract
The insurance does not settle with home settling issues
This month it will be six years. I've explain that all homes will settle , but I am willing to assist them with some repair for them but I am not response before the entire situation.
What kind of case do they have ? Or What can I do.
Thank you
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
6/7/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

In Georgia the homeowner had up to 8 years to file a construction defect claim. It is hard to say if they have a strong case without knowing the specifics of the settling issues. It may be cheaper to help them resolve the issues than to litigate but I would have them sign a release that your assistance is not an admission of guilt.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Even if the city code inspectors sign off as everything was done in compliance of the state codes at the time, and should I hire a scriptural engineer to look at the home and give me and the customer a report. Will this help me or hurt me?

That certainly helps your case but inspections would not really address settlement issues. The engineering report's impact on yoir case would really depend on the results.

Let me know if you have additional questions otherwise a positive rating is appreciated.

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer