How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55444
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While renting with my apartment company, I have been using a

Customer Question

While renting with my apartment company, I have been using a faulty a/c unit that has drastically affected my electric bill since September 2015. Multiple times the maintenance team has come into my home and proclaimed they fixed my unit but the bills would persist. I was just notified by a new manager of the maintenance team that a part that I was told was fixed back in September is still broken in June. I have paid dominion up to now, and I feel that I need to be compensated by my apartment company for expenses they never fixed, unknowingly to me, and that I was charged for. There are hundreds of dollars that are involved here, and I need to be reimbursed. Is this something that I could take up in court?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Yes, absolutely, you should file a suit against the landlord. You have suffered damages due to either their negligence, gross negligence, and/or intentional bad faith. So, raise the stakes on them. Send them a certified, return receipt requested letter detailing the history and demand they reimburse you in full for the costs you have incurred due to their failure to resolve the problem competently. Inform them that if they do not comply with your demand within a short specified period of time, you will have no choice but to file a suit for your damages. BUT, be sure to specifically mention that if forced to file a suit, you will be filing this claim based on gross negligence, and intentional bad faith, which will entitle you not only to your damages, but also an additional amount equal to multiple times your actual damages as punitive damages. That should provide plenty of incentive to comply with your demands; but, if it does not, file your suit. Filing the suit will give you the collection options and leverage you need to collect the debt owed you. That's because once the suit is filed and a judgment awarded, you become a judgment creditor, and if the judgment isn't paid, you can have the sheriff serve a summons on the losing party(ies) for a debtor examination. That forces them to meet you in court again and answer questions under oath about their assets. After that information is obtained, you have the power to attach bank accounts, have the sheriff seize other personal property, and/or place liens on any real property they own to satisfy the judgment.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!