How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socallegalwork Your Own Question
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 144
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socallegalwork is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get the blueprints to my house which was built in

Customer Question

How can I get the blueprints to my house which was built in 1984? We're the 3 or 4th owners.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I believe I can assist you.

Couple of possible solutions. Assuming you don't know the original contractor who constructed the property and can reach out to them, your next bet is to try your local county recorder's office (or city registrar's office if applicable). They may maintain these blueprints, though you will have to pay a small fee to get a copy.

Worst case scenario- you can hire an architectural expert to prepare a reproduction of your home's blue prints. There may be someone who is familiar with your development and has even done this before for others in your community. But this would be the most costly approach.

I would check first with your county recorder or city registrar.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did that. And I know how to draw interior design plans myself, so might just do that.
Thanks anyway,
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.

I have another possible method.

In many jurisdictions, contractors are required to submit a copy of the blueprints when they apply for a building permit. I don't know what jurisdiction you are in, but is there a building department you can check with?

Related Real Estate Law Questions