How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My home was foreclosed on the sheriff served me with a

Customer Question

My home was foreclosed on the sheriff served me with a forcible entry and detainer in illinois but I need a little more time to find a home for me and my 4 kids what can I do the court date was today
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

First off, I am sorry you are having to go through this issue. I am a licensed attorney with over a dozen years of practice experience in this area. It is a pleasure to assist you today.

You need to go to your court date and ask for a continuance. If you have already missed court this morning, then it would be worth it to go to the courthouse and ask to speak with the judge. They may not allow it - understand that aspect as it would be a ex parte communication. If you are allowed to speak, explain your situation and ask for more time. If you are not allowed, you need to file a motion to set aside the judgment entered against you. The grounds to set it aside would be your inability to make it to court today. Again, this may not be honored by the court as they are sticklers about being present at court or letting them know why you cannot ahead of time.

The only real hope you have here is to ask for a continuance or a stay of execution of the order of eviction in order for you to avoid homelessness.

I wish there were other options, but that is it unfortunately.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Please also rate my answer positively (THREE OR MORE Stars) on the ratings bar on your end so I can receive credit from the site for my response.

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any other questions I may answer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even the home is under my ex husbands name can i ask for another court date? I'm just needing at least 30 days to move out
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

That certainly complicates matters. You may need a letter or signed statement from your ex-husband (since he is the legal owner by name) that you have the right to deal on his behalf relative to the court proceedings. The court will ask you for some legal basis for speaking with them relative to staying for 30 days. Therefore, you will need something from your ex in this regard.

Let me know if you have any other questions and please rate my answer positively as welll.


Related Real Estate Law Questions