How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31731
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ground floor slab settling .its common ground . asso.mud

Customer Question

ground floor slab settling .its common ground . asso.mud jacked 4 yrs. ago and cauked cracks around ceiling walls right after. the cracks came back within 3 wks. the asso. promised to touch up these cracks in three diffrent rooms/ now refuse to fix this saying its a cosmetic condition and my responsibility. i disagree it was caused by settling which is still not stabaliz.ed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

It certainly would be best to hire a local lawyer to assist you given that he/she would understand the legal process better and be in a position to help you navigate through it better that you may be able to do on your own. That said, you can pursue this matter on your own and try to get the result you're looking for.

The first thing you'd need to do is file a grievance with the association and ask for a hearing at the next board that meeting, you can inform the board that the association covered this repair and attempted to correct it over the years.....but that the repairs have not worked. Thus, based on the previous agreement to cover the repair, the association should continue it's attempts to remedy this problem.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

If the issue can be handled through the administrative process within the association, you could do it without a lawyer.....but if the association refuses your request, the only option at that point would be to file suit to hold the association responsible..... if it comes to that, you should consult an attorney about representing you as most will agree to payment arrangements and not demand payment in full up front.