How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10035
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dtr will be attending a SUNY college in fall, we live out

Customer Question

My dtr will be attending a SUNY college in fall, we live out of state. I have opportunity to have job in NYC soon, how long do I have to live and work in my to qualify for my dtr to get in state tuition?
JA: The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: Dtr will be living with me when school not in session
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you;

basically an individual (or their parent if a dependent) must be a resident of the state for 12 months prior to the date of registration for the semester at issue.

Residency can be established by both the parent and child doing the following:

getting a driver's license in that state

registering to vote

titling vehicles in that state

purchasing/renting property for long term

indicate an intent to stay long term in the state (versus temporary)

seeking employment in that state

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.
I hope the information provided was useful.

Here is a link to the bar association's legal referral site:

Should you have further questions please post here; otherwise kindly

--- Rate Positively---
so the site credits me for assisting you.

Thank you and take care!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see how this worked out for you;

Once one qualifies, instate usually saves around $25000 per year so the best to your daughter on this.

Thank you!

Related Real Estate Law Questions