How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 30356
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a condo in south Florida where plumbing work will be

Customer Question

I own a condo in south Florida where plumbing work will be done in two of the four buildings. The board is telling us that the cost of the work is $125,000. I have written a letter to the Management company (registered mail, return receipt) asking for a signed contract listing the scope of work and the pricing schedule. I received a letter from the Management Company in reply stating that I can inspect the official records of the association at the offices of the management company in Florida, however, they stated they were not required to cull the records(?). My permanent residence is in New York and at the present time I am not in Florida. Does the Association or the Management company have to provide me with this information without me going to Florida? By the way, in my first letter of request, I did receive a copy of something that could have been a contract but it was not signed and did not have any pricing. If they were able to send me this prior to my registered letter being sent why would I have to go to Florida to view a signed copy and pricing; why couldn't they send me the signed copy as they did an unsigned copy?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

What the statute says is, "The records of the association shall be made available to a unit owner within 45 miles of the condominium property or within the county in which the condominium property is located within 5 working days after receipt of a written request by the board or its designee." Fl. Stat., Section 718.111(b). The statute also allows, but does not require, the board to provide electronic copies. You may want to check your bylaws to see if that requires electronic copies. If not, unfortunately, there is nothing in the statute that requires them to mail the documents to you.

As far as why they'd send you the prior documents or unsigned records and not this, it could be that their lawyer told them they didn't have to. It could be they know the cost is unreasonable and they're hiding behind the law. But they unfortunately don't have to produce the documents unless you go to Florida to read them. A better option might be to see if you can get one of the other owners to request a copy and share them with you. You're talking about a huge amount of money (unless there are hundreds of units in the community), and I'd be surprised if you're the only one who wants proof before having to pay.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you need any more help with this?