How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31733
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Back December of 2004 i went to closing on my current house

Customer Question

back December of 2004 i went to closing on my current house at the time of closing i was 2000.00 short at closing assuming the deal was going to fall threw my agent who is now decease went into a private meeting and when they return everything was ok telling me the seller lowered the cost of the house so that the deal may be in 2016 i tried to re-finance and was told that a lien for 3000.00 was place on your house 2day after my initial closing, i call the person who name is ***** ***** the lien to my knowledge no person from that company has no knowledge of this are no terms what so ever or instructions for this lein please advise me on what are my options regarding this lean
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll b glad to assist.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

IF you never signed a promissory note or lien for the money the account was short, then it would be difficult for the lender to have a lien.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

That said, you should find out what exactly the lien is for, review the document, etc.....and if the lien is can file a petition to quiet title and remove cloud....which is a proceeding you would file to cancel the lien.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

You'd have to name the lienholder as a defendant, and serve it at the last known address, and if no response is made, you should be able to get a default judgment against the lienholder defendant and have the court issue an order voiding and removing the lien.

Related Real Estate Law Questions