Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

HOW DO YOU REMOVE A TENNENT ON A MONTH TO MONTH LEASE SO THE

Customer Question

HOW DO YOU REMOVE A TENNENT ON A MONTH TO MONTH LEASE SO THE OWNER CAN HAVE THE APT.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Illinois law requires one full month's notice to terminate a month to month notice. It should be written notice, as well.

The "full month" means that if you give written notice today, the lease will terminate on July 1.

If the tenant is not out by that date then you can file a forcible detainer to get an order for possession. The order for possession is then executed by the county sheriff, who physically evicts the tenant, along with placing their personal property on the curb.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Hopefully, the tenant will vacate before the notice period terminates.

If you must file a forcible detainer, the clerk of the court will have the forms you need.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.