How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118749
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

August 2015, accident at home exercising, sat on exercise

Customer Question

My name is*****August 2015, accident at home exercising, sat on exercise ball, ball
rolled forward, dumping me backwards and I hit back of my neck on a
plug with large plugs. This has caused my speech to slur and under
doctor's care with no brain damage from CT and MRI. My slurred speech
has me unemployed and receiving State Disability Insurance (SDI) and a
small retirement from Boeing to help me pay my bills. Freak accident!
Neurologists told me with speech therapy for complete recovery.
Speech therapy in January at St. Joseph Medical Center. California State Northridge University is helping my speech starting in June. Can Homeowner Association foreclosure on my town home? Keep Your Home California has worked me for 18 month and I have a payment plan with Chase. The best way to reach is by email. My email address is:***@******.***
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your specific question for us regarding your situation? I mean I saw you asked about whether or not the HOA could foreclose on your home, but do you have something more than that you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I owe $10K
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was working contact jobs and getting paid $15 per hour. I had money to pay bill, buy food and fuel for my car.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.

I understand, but legally if you owe the HOA, they can file a lien on your unit and can foreclose on your property and force you out, even though you do have a medical issue that is legitimately preventing you from paying them. Unfortunately, these HOA have a ton of power and have the right to foreclose on the property of any member who does not pay.

At this point I would consider contacting your local social service agencies and even your local community and religious groups, since many times they have programs available to bail out people who are in your type of medical situation and need assistance with dues, mortgage or bills and seek out their assistance in perhaps paying what is due to preserve your home.