How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RealEstateAnswer Your Own Question
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 27181
Experience:  10+ years in handling Leases, Landlord-Tenant, Foreclosures,Mortgages, and Eviction cases
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
RealEstateAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tenant in Maine has not paid 2/3 of the rent . I believe

Customer Question

My tenant in Maine has not paid 2/3 of the rent for May. I believe I need to serve a "7day notice to quit". Does it have to be in person? I do have a written lease.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Yes, it is always best to serve the notice in person but you can also send a copy of the written notice via certified mail, in case the tenant tries to dispute they never received it. If they fail to pay and cure the breach, for failing to pay the required rent, you can then proceed with eviction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would cost $200 to have them served in person. Ill pay it if needed for it to stand up in court. Is the certified letter enough, or is in-person the only way to guarantee that?
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.
You do not have to use a process server. You can send notice via certified mail to show it was received
Expert:  RealEstateAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

Related Real Estate Law Questions