How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Attorney and Real Estate Broker
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience in real estate law: Foreclosures, Landlord-Tenant, Condo/Coop, Property Law, Deeds, Purchases/Sales, Estates.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I red a management company to manage a 4 unit building. Over

Customer Question

I hired a management company to manage a 4 unit building. Over a year ago, when they were still managing it 2 boilers had to be replaced. They organized and took care of the job passing on the bills. Few months I canceled our contract as I felt that they were miss managing this property. Later I found out that they did not pull permits for the boiler replacement job. So I reach out to them and they agreed to get the permits and follow through with the inspection. I agreed to cover the cost of the permit. this was 6 months ago. For 6 months I've been getting updates such as Permit pulled, waiting to schedule inspection, inspection done waiting for the results. I finally called the building department of the town, it turns out that there is no permit filed for this job at all. the management co stated that they made a mistake and that their plumber that is doing this confused the properties. They stated that the application is submitted and they are scheduling the inspection again. What can I do to put pressure on them? I had a closing scheduled for this property in 2 weeks and I'm afraid that they will continue to push this issue out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am happy to assist.

Sorry to hear that this management company was so bad. I think the best way to put the pressure on is to start sending legal letters. I would give them a deadline for having this completed. I realize that it isn't completely within their control, because the city also has to cooperate, but you should make it clear that legal action will be taken if they have any additional issues.

You have a solid case against the management company, but I also understand that you don't want to waste time with that since there is a closing coming up.

Something you could also consider is doing the closing contingent upon the finalization of the permits and inspections. That way that can happen after the closing.

I hope this helps,