How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socallegalwork Your Own Question
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 144
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socallegalwork is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently renting a jo JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer

Customer Question

I am currently renting a jo
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: I am currently renting a home in Tavares, Fl. I have been sick for ever since I moved in with reoccurring bronchitis and asthmatic episodes. I suspected that there could be unseen mold in my home that was causing the issue. I had a state certified mold inspector come out and test the home. Sure enough there were high levels of toxic mold.
JA: Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I reported immediately the results to my landlord. She claimed she was in shock and had no idea that there was a mold issue here. She agreed to have repairs done, however has not offered to assist me in any way for my lost time at work, lost wages, medical expenses nor the cost of the testing.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.
Hello I believe I can assist you. If you want to recover for costs like lost wages and medical expenses (and she won't agree to pay you) then you are going to have to file an action in court- Either small claims or an ordinary civil action depending on how high your damages are. If you no longer wish to live there and the landlord refuses or fails to timely correct the situation, because this condition is clearly a health hazard and preventing you from enjoying the property, you can unilaterally terminate the lease and move. But again, you will probably need to file a suit in court in order to seek reimbursement for your damages.