Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
19958803

I recently purchased a house. The day I moved in--the screen

Customer Question

I recently purchased a house. The day I moved in--the screen door fell off when I closed it & dishwasher does not work. I reviewed the home inspection & it states he inspected these items. I contacted the inspector & he said he was not responsible for these. What can I do now?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question..If you had a seller's disclosure completed by the seller prior to purchasing, and it doesn't mention that the dishwasher doesn't work, then if it didn't work from day one, you could sue the seller for the cost of repairs for failing to disclose this problem..But you are probably just stuck with the screen door because if it operated ok during inspections and the seller says they had no problems with it, then there is not any way to hold them liable unless you can prove that it was rigged up by them and any problems concealed..With that said, you are looking a $300-500 for a dishwasher and $100-200 for a new screen door, so if you filed a small claims suit against the seller, they would likely agree to settle with you rather than get dragged into court to have to defend...thanksBarrister