How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37412
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 6 acre lot that I want to divide into 3 lots and

Customer Question

I have a 6 acre lot that I want to divide into 3 lots and give one to my daughter this is in Havelock NC 28532 what do I need to do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..You would first need to check with the local Planning and Zoning office to see if they would allow a subdivision down to 2 acres a lot. Then you would need to apply for a formal permit to do the subdivision from P n Z. Then you would have to get a licensed surveyor to come in and do a minor subdivision plat where they cut up the large plot into the 3 smaller plots and survey each small plot to set its geographic boundaries. Then you take the proposed subdivision plat to the local city/county officials to have them all sign off on it. Then you submit it to P n Z for final approval. Then after that it is recorded and becomes final..So unless you are familiar with doing your own subdivision work, you would need a local real estate attorney with development or land use planning experience to assist with getting this through the process. If you know a surveyor, they can normally recommend an attorney they have worked with before who won't skin you. In some situations, the surveyor can actually walk you through the process so you don't even need an attorney....thanksBarrister.

Related Real Estate Law Questions