How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I ran a background check on myself and it says I own 25

Customer Question

I ran a background check on myself and it says I own 25 houses in New Braunfels. Is there a way to verify or clarify that these are not my houses? Is there a way to determine whether someone is using my SSN?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No. I just did this today.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have really bad credit. If my identity was stolen, they might have run into some issues. Heh.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first thing you have to do is go to the property clerk in New Braunfels or get someone to go there and get copies of all of the deeds to show that you are not the person who signed the deeds. This is not generally a simple or short process because once you get the deeds you have to have the signatures checked to prove they are not your signature and then you would have to file in court to get the court to invalidate the deeds and remove them from your SSN. You really need to have a local consumer protection attorney to assist in clearing up your identity theft issue, because it is going to involve going to court in most cases to undo any of these legal documents that have been filed and also subpoenas and investigation to try to identify who did this so ultimately you can file suit against these people to seek damages.

Related Real Estate Law Questions