AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

Is it legal to submit to a claim damage and when the

Customer Question

is it legal to submit to a claim for water damage and when the adjuster shows up he says the house is uninsureable.I had 22 years of living in that home and am told to get out only one issue left the pipes under the kitchen sink had broke and had to be fixed ,before i got more estimates only once i called for water leaking in the ceiling of second.the repairman said the second angcond bath had asbestos or black wooly insulation,in the attic.I never missed payment of the house.tke mortgage company
cen be for etexandits insuranse association are doing some trick to get my house before they have to fix it,.It has left me homless ;iving in motels or apt,
I am sick from multple sxerlosis and dont want for the carpetbaggers to get a home
i have put 22 years of eguity in
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney, and would like to assist you for informational purposes. What a difficult situation! Normally, the insurance company will pay for the water-type damage if the water leak was from a pipe that burst quickly, rather than a leak from a pipe that was slow and gradual over time. Normally, if they see black in the insulation, that is a sign that the leak has been slowly occurring, because it indicates rot or mold growth. However, some policies have an exception for "latent" conditions, which you may ask the adjustor about. Latent means that the leak was "hidden" and not known to you. If that was the case, then perhaps there is a chance there might be some coverage. Again, I am so sorry for your situation.