legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
63726236

I rent a house 17 years where the landlord lived on the

Customer Question

I rent a house 17 years where the landlord lived on the backside of the building granny flat. This landlord died 4 months ago and his sons are dealing with California probate issues. They do not yet own the property and they are hoping for me to pay them rent but we have no written agreement and they have no ownership. I have to care for the property at my own expense and I have to keep the utilities from being turned off. I want to continue to pay rent and I want to be compensated for the additional issues of caring for the property. I want to negotiate for a lower rent. How can I check to see how long the probate will take. Is it months or years and how to navigate this probate time and best secure my living here during this unstable situation. Please ask me any other question you need.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Probate in CA takes a minimum of 6 months from the date the petition for probate is filed. The executor is the person that is in charge of the estate's property- they basically step into the shoes of the deceased, and act as their legal representative. If there is a written lease, the terms of that lease are controlling. If it is an oral lease, the court will look to the terms of the lease (as indicated by past events, for example) to determine the appropriate action.

Generally, when a long term tenant is still in tenancy, they are a tenancy at will. The landlord (or the executor, who is acting on his behalf) may not terminate the lease without giving notice. For long term tenancies, generally a 60 day notice must be provided. If the tenant does not vacate after that notice is provided, then the landlord must pursue "unlawful detainer" eviction. (notice requirements here: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=00001-01000&file=789-793)

However, if the tenant is in breach of the tenancy (ie non payment of rent), then the landlord may serve a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit:

You can use this notice when the tenant is behind on the rent. You don’t have to fill out this notice as soon as the rent is overdue. A lot of tenants are sometimes late with rent. Before you fill out this notice, contact the tenant. Find out if the rent is on its way. But, if you think the tenant won’t or can’t pay the rent, fill out the notice as soon as possible.

The notice:

• Has to be in writing
  • Has to have the title "Three Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit"
  • Has to say the name of the tenant
  • Has to say the address you’re talking about
  • Has to say exactly how much rent is overdue
  • Has to say why that much rent is due and the dates the rent was due
  • Has to give the tenant the chance to pay the rent or move out in 3 days
  • Has to say that if the tenant doesn’t pay in 3 days, they’ll forfeit the lease.
  • You have to sign and date the notice

Be very careful when you fill out the 3-Day Notice to Pay Rent or Quit.
The notice won’t be valid if you:

• Don’t say how much money is due,
  • Ask for more money than what is due,
  • Ask for rent that was due more than 1 year ago,
  • Ask for something that’s not rent. This can be late charges, interest, utilities, property taxes, or damages,
  • Tell the tenant to "pay rent and quit" (instead of "pay rent or quit"), or
  • If you don’t let the tenant chose to forfeit the lease. This is called “election of forfeiture.”

Again, the executor has legal standing to pursue this in civil court, and actually has a fiduciary duty to the estate to ensure that the rental unit is being used in a productive manner (ie producing income for the estate).

If there is no written lease, then it is possible to negotiate the terms of the lease; if the landlord refuses to lower the rent, one would provide the required notice as set forth above (ie 30 days notice).

Also, any money expended on necessary repairs can be deducted from rent that is due. Repair and deduct strategy, along with other issues concerning repairs, are discussed at length here

Probate is a public record, so one can go to the court (probate department) to determine how far the case is. Probate will continue at least 4 months past the date the notice to creditors is provided so that can help determine the expected length of probate, along with viewing the assets listed in the inventory (complicated estates take longer).

Now, if the property is sold during the probate process, a written lease provides more protection to the tenant; otherwise the new owner may issue a 30 day notice to vacate to the current tenant, or raise rent, or take any new action as the new owner deems appropriate.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

Checking in to see how things went and if you had any further questions. Thank you!

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

here is the definition of bullying:

a) Definition of bullying. -- As used in this section, "bullying" means any intentional written, electronic, verbal or physical act or actions against another student, school volunteer or school employee that a reasonable person under the circumstances should know will have the effect of:

(1) Placing a student, school volunteer or school employee in reasonable fear of substantial harm to his or her emotional or physical well-being or substantial damage to his or her property.

(2) Creating a hostile, threatening, humiliating or abusive educational environment due to the pervasiveness or persistence of actions or due to a power differential between the bully and the target; or

(3) Interfering with a student having a safe school environment that is necessary to facilitate educational performance, opportunities or benefits; or

(4) Perpetuating bullying by inciting, soliciting or coercing an individual or group to demean, dehumanize, embarrass or cause emotional, psychological or physical harm to another student, school volunteer or school employee.

normally videotaping a pie eating contest won't constitute bullying; now if people are posting comments re: body shaming, that would be bullying.

Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.

The protected classes are:

• Race
  • Age
  • Marital Status
  • Creed
  • Religion
  • Color
  • Sex
  • Disability
  • Sexual Orientation
  • Gender Identity
  • Gender Expression
  • National Origin