How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 5436
Experience:  17 years of legal experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I purchase a 3-4 unit property in the Los Angeles area in

Customer Question

If I purchase a 3-4 unit property in the Los Angeles area in which to relocate my family, am I responsible to pay for relocation of tenants occupying the property prior to my purchase?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.
That depends on what area of Los Angeles you intend to evict the tenants. Most parts of Los Angeles, the answer is no. However, there are "rent control" areas of Los Angeles that restrict the reasons why you can evict a tenant and, yes, will require you to pay a relocation stipend to those tenants being evicted. What part of Los Angeles in particular? Is it the City of Los Angeles? Or another city in Los Angeles County?