How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 1451
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have lived in my home, a small historic hotel since 1978.

Customer Question

I have lived in my home, a small historic hotel since 1978. Located within a village, my property was once part of a larger parcel that abuts a river. In the late 1960s, A previous owner gifted for $1 a block of land to the village that extended from the rear of my property to the river for use as a parking lot. However, About 5 years ago I noticed that the official plat map of the county shows that about 25 feet of land abutting the river is part of my parcel and that I have been paying taxes on it since I purchased my home in 1978. I pointed this out to the village clerk 5 years ago and she said she'd ask the surveyor, but no response since. How strong is my claim to this small but crucial strip of land?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
Good morning. You have a claim if the actual deeded portion reflects the official plat map. You would need to have a surveyor map your property and the parcel and show him the deed and the official plat map. If the description in the deed regarding he gifted portion reflects the plat map then you have a good claim. Any claim for property requires proof and maybe a court order, depending on what the survey and deed conclude.