Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
8534270

I'm a Virginia resident and am considering the purchase

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a Virginia resident and am considering the purchase of out of state raw land (no buildings) that is zoned residential at auction or direct from owners with the intent to resell to wholesale buyers. I'm also considering just optioning the land to buyers. Can you coinfirm if either of these methods require a real estate/broker license; and if so, can I use an agent/broker to act for me in the purchase/sale? Thanks, ChrisB
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. You can purchase land here yourself or option it without a real estate broker or sales agent.Since you are the purchaser and not a third party then you can do this yourself.You can also option property and sell your option on your own here in Virginia.No broker or sales agent is required as long as you are the person doing the buying.I do not see any problems with you doing so on your one.It is only when you are showing properties or options not your own that there is a problem and a realtor is required here in Virginia. As long as these are yours here it is not a problem and no realtor or broker is required. I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.