How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118720
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In the city of Pasadena a new neighborhood park is being built.

Customer Question

In the city of Pasadena a new neighborhood park is being built. It is only 3.8 acres. They are insisting on putting a public restroom. We already have a homeless issue with individuals breaking into our gated neighborhood. Putting a public restroom I feel will only encourage more homeless issues. What laws are in place in California to protect our investment
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Any public project of this nature would have to go before the city council and city planning commission. So your first step is sending your written complaint to the planning commission with a copy to the city council. If the council and planning commission do not reply or refuse to address your appeal, this is a discretionary issue for the council to decide and a resident's objection would only be then based on filing a suit in court based on public nuisance created by the installation (as you described) and how it would cause devaluation of the property values in the area. This would require a local land use attorney to represent you and you would have to produce evidence of how this would devalue the property and the issues it would cause in the neighborhood from unsanitary conditions and increases in crime as well.