How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 31672
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am renting property that is one acre with a home and pole

Customer Question

I am renting property that is one acre with a home and pole building on it. The landlord has retained use of the pole building and approximately 60% of the property that is behind the house. There is only one meter for electricity that is connected to the house. The pole building electricity is tied to the house meter. The property behind the house is not developed and the landlord uses that property for a very large garden, utilizing the irrigation water that is also tied to the entire lot. The landlord has also parked his personal vehicles both on the undeveloped portion of the property behind the house, and more recently in a front driveway next to the house. I am paying 100% of the utilities. I believe there are some legal issues with the landlord's personal use of property for which I am being charged rent.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
There's nothing technically illegal about you paying the utility bill.....but if there's no consideration for you doing so (such as a discount on the rent due each month), then you should address it with the landlord and see if you can reach an agreement.
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
However, if you can't reach an agreement, you may want to see about having a new service set up by the local utility just for the space/property you rent.

Related Real Estate Law Questions