How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Attorney
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  10 years practicing IP law and general litigation
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband suffering from severe Lewy Body Dementia is presently

Customer Question

My husband suffering from severe Lewy Body Dementia is presently in a behavioral unit of Zucker Hillside Hospital. I have been told that he will be evicted unless I sign to place him in a Nursing Home. Is this legal
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
They are saying they will evict him from the Zucker Hillside Hospital, is that correct? Just want to make sure I understand. Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The hospital wants me to sign for placement in a Nursing Home. However, with this type of dementia, the more medication given for agitation, the more agitated he will become. Where he is (for the past 6 month) uses diversion rather than chemically inducing him; which seems to help. In addition he needs 4 men to shower him, he has no peripheral vision and must have someone watch him, days on end does not sleep and paces continuously. I am at wits end. All doors have been closed in my face for help. I don't know what my legal right is for my husband. By the way, my husband is 58 yrs old. I a 63, work full time. I could not get 24hour care at him therefore had no choice but to take him to the hospital. I need help.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this issue. The reason the hospital is attempting to find another place for him, quite frankly, is because they are probably butting up against what they can be reimbursed for relative to his treatment. As such, they are trying to get him off of their books - a very unfortunate consequence of the system currently in place for treatment and payment for treatment. At the moment, there is probably not an immediate alternative plan for him. Placing him in the nursing home, as troublesome as that is (believe me I know because I have dealt with a similar issue with a close relative), may buy you some time to find another more suitable place for him to stay and be treated in a better manner more akin to the hospital. In the meantime, if you have not, I would contact the New York Treatment Advocacy Center. Here is their contact information: They may be able to assist as well in placing him in a more suitable treatment facility. So, in the present time, I think you are probably going to have to sign for his transfer to the nursing home facility. However, you can be working on other areas and use this as a mechanism to buy some time. The treatment advocacy center should be able to provide assistance as well. This is a tough situation with no "great" answers at the moment. I wish I had a golden bullet to get you where you need to be with this issue. Let me know if you have other questions and please rate my answer positively (three or more stars). Best wishes going forward!