How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 42332
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of Florida and live in my brothers house

Customer Question

I live in the state of Florida and live in my brothers house that they let me live in, I invited a friend to stay with me for free until she could get on her feet, which has been almost a year, but she went to jail for 75 days and has just returned to my house 4 days ago and now I'm asking her to leave and she said I need to evict her. She pays no rent and no we are not a couple. Can I call the cops and have her removed with out all the evicting stuff. A friend said since she's has been gone more than 60 days it might play a roll in getting her out.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today. Here you need to give her a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit.You would set rent here so high she will not pay.After 3 days you file to evict here fo failure to pay rent.This is the fastest way to get her out.When she was in jail here you should not have let her move back in.Once she did she is a tenant again and you need to evict. Set a rent amount here and give her the notice.$FILE/FORM%201.pdf?OpenElement Forms your county will have these. Brothers here need to sighn notice and file suit as owners.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate the chance to help you today.No way around notice and then eviction/forcible entry and detainer.You could offer her a little cash here to get her to leave.Thats your only other option other than to notice and evict.