Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If the outside maintenance, except lawn mowing,

Customer Question
If the outside maintenance, except...
If the outside maintenance, except for monthly lawn mowing, has been seriously neglected, is there anything a condo owner can do to cause reasonable attention to the common areas? What are the laws governing hoa dues paid for maintenance of the condos? Is there any recourse to force the hoa president to address these issues?
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: The situation is an 8 unit complex that have 2 units that are independently owned. For all purposes the owner of the other six units is the HOA president has stated to me that he has the majority votes to vote whether or not anything is repaired or kept in reasonable condition, the other unit owners are out of luck.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/15/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. If there is a HOA then the HOA president and board must follow the guidelines set forth in the HOA documents. If they don't then they are subject to a lawsuit to 1) force them to follow the rules and/or 2) remove them from office. A lawsuit is the only option under the conditions you have described. If the ownership share was different (more owners) then you might also be able to use the powers such as a recall vote to get what you want but with 6 out of 8 votes being controlled by one person then you can't.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney