How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 55442
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a condo in hull mass when I asked to see the financials

Customer Question

I own a condo in hull mass when I asked to see the financials for maintenance and supplies the answer back was that I should no they are busy. And my neighbors complain my dog barks and the Hoa can make me get rid of the dog.
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Real Estate Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: I am trying to move but I don't feel like living with them threatening me. We have 2 women that are our trustees it's a self managed condo association
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's fine thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You have every right to see these records and their threat is absolutely ridiculous. You should refer them to Chapter 183A. Section 10(c) of the Mass Condominium Act: (c) The organization of unit owners may appoint a manager or managing agent or be self-managed by their elected trustees or managing board. The organization of unit owners shall keep a complete copy of the following items, except when the organization shall appoint a manager or managing agent who has responsibility for the collection of assessments, payment of common expenses, or the accounting or custody of common funds, in which case the manager or managing agent shall be responsible, without limitation, for keeping the records in item (4) below:(1) a true and accurate copy of the master deed as recorded and amended;(2) the by-laws, including amendments thereto, as recorded;(3) the minute book, as maintained by the organization of unit owners, to the extent such minutes are kept; and(4) financial records, including the following:(i) records of all receipts and expenditures, invoices and vouchers authorizing payments, receivables, and bank statements relating thereto;(ii) records regarding the replacement reserve fund or any other funds of the organization of unit owners and bank statements relating thereto;(iii) audits, reviews, accounting statements, and financial reports relating to the finances of the organization of unit owners;(iv) contracts for work to be performed for or services to be provided to the organization of unit owners; and(v) all current insurance policies of the organization of unit owners, or policies which name the organization as insured or obligee.Such records shall be kept in an up-to-date manner within the commonwealth and shall be available for reasonable inspection by any unit owner or by any mortgagee holding a recorded first mortgage on a unit during regular business hours and at such other times as may be provided in the agreement between the manager or managing agent and the organization of unit owners. Access to said records shall include the right to photocopy said records at the expense of the person or entity making the request.