How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 29817
Experience:  JA Mentor
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I co own a condo in New Hampshire. Can I sell my 1/2 interest

Customer Question

I co own a condo in New Hampshire. Can I sell my 1/2 interest to my son-in-law.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. Yes, you can. A joint tenant or tenant in common is free to transfer their interest in real estate to a third party, creating a new tenancy in common. If your former partner does not want to share the condo with your son-in-law, that person has the right to bring an Action for Partition, asking a judge to order the sale of the condo and the proceeds from the sale split 50/50. That's exactly what would happen if you and your former partner cannot decide on your own who gets to keep it, except your son-in-law will be the defendant. For that reason, many people aren't interested in purchasing only a half interest in real estate, but it is legal if he's willing. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Did you need any more help with this?

Related Real Estate Law Questions