How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34532
Experience:  12+ yrs. of experience including real estate law.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Do I have to pay to the city of Charleston WV Refuse and Fire

Customer Question

Do I have to pay to the city of Charleston WV Refuse and Fire on a house that burn after 12 years a debt collector is trying to get this paid when I just found this out ty
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to helpAlso, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen. Sorry...I do not understand the question...are you asking if there is a statute of limitations for a debt owed to the city?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Philip can you call me(###) ###-####thank you Dave
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Dave I sent the offer (they have a minimum charge of $5 for a phone call)...if you accept it I can give a call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I received a notice for a bill from the City of Charleston - Fire and Refuse that I was unaware of and never received a previous bill. This was for my parents house that my father had put in my and my brothers name. The house burnt down over 12 years ago. So yes, I wanted to find out if there is a Statue of Limitations on for this debt? It not, I was also wondering if my brother and I are both on the deed would I legally be only responsible for half the debt? I no longer reside in WV, I live in another state. Can they make me come to court in WV or would they just put a lean on my and my brothers homes?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Debt to governmental entities such as cities, counties and states falls under different rules than consumer debt. This debt does not go away with the passage of time as ordinary consumer debts do.So it is possible for the city to continue to try and collect this debt.As for whom they can seek reimbursement? If you and your brother are both on the deed, then you are "jointly and severally liable". This means that the city can seek the entire amount from either of you. IF they were to sue you and force you to pay? You could sue your brother to recover half the money you had to pay.Are they going to sue you in a different state? Not likely...possible...but more likely they would pursue your brother (assuming he is in the state still) Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Related Real Estate Law Questions