Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I'm not sure what type of lawyer I need. I'm Planning on seeing

Customer Question
I'm not sure what type...
I'm not sure what type of lawyer I need. I'm
Planning on seeing one locally but would like advice on what type to see and have a strangest and information prior to going. Here is my situation. I purchased a historical building (the old original bank in my town) to turn into a retail store. It is one of several in a strip on Main St. The original brick walls etc remain. I've spent a lot of money on renovating this building, keeping the integrity of it and building a successful business. The building next to me is unoccupied and been delapadated for years. The roof is gone in most of it and the old
Pier and beam floor is gone as well. The man that owns it for it cheap, has no money, is a drug addict and has criminal charges. He has no plans for a business there and hadn't paid taxes in 3 years. He also has a history of 3 other properties he bought randomly burning down and profiting ins money. I've been warned. About 5 mos ago, our first hard rain came since opening. With his roof gone, the water pours in his building then vegans seeping through our brick wall at the floor. I had everything off the floor. Fought water all night. Had little damage thankfully. Then it happened again a month later. Same thing. I then went to the chief and city, which I have a good relationship with, and filed my complain that something be done to this building. They tell him he has 39 days before they put in a motion to condemn. He shows up at the meeting, doesn't know what is his and what is mine. Acts crazy. Says he will fix it. He has 30 days. Next meeting...nothing was touched so a motion to condemn was out in. He still says he will fix it. He shows up for 2 days...removes items as it is full of inventory and that is it. Council meeting tonight. He does not show. His father called the mayor yesterday and told him he is buying it and going to fix it up. The mayor asked the council that he be allowed to put in the condemn order and go out for bids on the 11th which is his 30 days. They agree. He privately tells me it's a loophole. Which I understand. He is buying time. When there is a new owner...time starts over. I was privately told by the city clerk to get to an attorney now. If I seek council now I can have something done and have a chance to acquire the building. Which I'd like. Ive offered to buy it from the owner but of course he wants a crazy amount for a completely delapadated building. I want it so that I can expand in the future. I can only go that way since I have streets on the other sides. I'm the end building. I don't want it torn down. I want the integrity of the building kept. I know it will need a new roof and floor etc. my question is where do I stand?! I have plenty of photos. Videos. My complaints. The city's requests to him etc. what type attorney can help me and what can even be done?! I was under the assumption that he would only be responsible for damages. I saved my inventory. Of course not my time nor my sanity. Lol. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I apologize for all of the typos!! I am on my phone.
5/10/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
If you and the owner cannot agree on the price, then your hands are basically tied. Your only hope would be to buy the building from the person who eventually buys it from the owner. The City has very limited option: give the owner an option to sell or renovate the building or tear the building down if the owner fails to act. An Attorney who deals with zoning and municipal issues would be an Attorney that you would need when dealing with the City and property issues. The Attorney may be able to get the City to hold off on tearing the building down giving you more time to negotiate with the owner and thus saving the building. You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys: Lawyers.com Justia.com Findlaw.com Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law