How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legalgems Your Own Question
legalgems, Arbitrator
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 10337
Experience:  Just Answer consultant at Self employed
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
legalgems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is the proper cause of action homeowner who is wanting

Customer Question

What is the proper cause of action for a homeowner who is wanting to file a lawsuit against a homeowners association, for a breach of the restrictive covenants that are contained in the HOA Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions (CCRs)? Is the proper term "Breach of Restrictive Covenant Pertaining to Real Property"? Or is it something else? Please advise. Thank you.
JA: OK. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not at this time
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
What state is this in regards ***** *****?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have an answer?
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thank you for your patience. Generally the bylaws or articles will specify what steps the homeowner wishing to have the HOA enforce the CC&R must do before filing suit. If these steps are followed, and there is still no action, then one can file for a breach of restrictive covenant and breach of fiduciary duty; they can also request specific performance- basically a court order directing the HOA to comply with the terms of the bylaws/articles/rules etc (so for example, to impose a daily fine). In order to be successful, the homeowner filing suit must typically prove the following: the HOA is not acting in the best interests of the homeowners as a whole, the HOA is not performing their duties fairly; the HOA is acting in a discriminating/arbitrary manner. There are attorneys who tend to be locally known for taking HOA cases; we can't give referrals but you can look online and then verify their license: Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat. Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you.(no additional charges are incurred). Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome; Please don't forget to rate my services so the site credits me for assisting you. Thank you kindly!
Expert:  legalgems replied 1 year ago.
Checking in to see how everything worked out. Have a great day!