How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117437
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a way to stop the building of a house way out in front

Customer Question

Is there a way to stop the building of a house way out in front of existing houses? It would block the view of the ocean for 4 houses and reduce the value of them
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under WA law, there is no right to a view. Thus, the only way to stop construction would be based on the construction violating some zoning ordinance or building code. The fact that the new home is being built on land where it would obstruct views of other homes is not legally actionable, even if the loss of the view may decrease the value of the other homes. You would have to prove that the construction violates some zoning or building code and if it does not and if the person owns the property they are building on, they have a right to build on their land I am afraid.