Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

My previous question to Ray. About my abutters if they

Customer Question
Hi my previous question to...
Hi my previous question to Ray. About my abutters if they are the new owners that bought the place 4 yes ago and then put up the fence where there was never I ever there to the squatters laws in mass start to zero again
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Real Estate Law
5/9/2016
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Ray, Lawyer
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here again to help. Here the clock starts when they bought the property here in MA. Massachusetts' adverse possession laws require an individual to occupy an otherwise neglected property publicly for at least 20 years regardless of "color of title" (meaning he or she has reason to believe they have the right to possess the property.So here if they bought 4 years ago they aren't close yet but you want to reclaim your property.As it is it would be an encroachment and you would have problems selling it. You are correct to deal with this now before it is a problem. I appreciate the chance to help you again.
Ray, Lawyer