How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 118715
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

QuikTrip company has bought home in my neighborhood and plans

Customer Question

QuikTrip company has bought home in my neighborhood and plans on tearing them down to build a store. The neighborhood is against it but the city council has voted in favor of the rezoning of the property, and the closure of some street. The traffic study shows the area already has more traffic than it should, the city staff report states that it is not consistent with the city plan and would be bad for the neighborhood, the planning commission voted no, but city council still said yes. Can we file a law suit to stop this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that zoning and use is up to the zoning/planning commission and can only be appealed to the court upon proof the action of the planning commission violated the law, was obtained by fraud or would cause some actual safety hazard. You would need an attorney to file suit, but in reality unless some law was broken or some fraud was involved, most of these suits are not successful and they are filed primarily to get concessions from the builder to make some changes to make the project more palatable to the neighbors more than anything else.