How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ray Your Own Question
Ray, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 40979
Experience:  Texas Attorney for 30 years dealing in real estate
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ray is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mom passed a month ago leaving the house to me through a

Customer Question

My mom passed a month ago leaving the house to me through a quit claim deed I also have other siblings can they stop me from getting the house?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight. No it passed by deed here while she was alive.Assuming she had capacity to understand what she did there is no legal absis here in Tennessee to challenge the deed.It was an intervivos gift here while she was alive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you are saying they can't stop me from getting the house
Is that correct?
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
Two elements must be present in orderto find a properly executed gift intervivos.Arnoult v. Griffin,490S.W.2d 701,710(Tenn.Ct.App.1972)(citing Dodson v. Matthews,117S.W.2d 969(Tenn.1938)).First,the donor must have the present intentto make a gift to the donee.Id. Intentis determined from the totality of thecircumstances.Id.Second, the donor mustdeliver the gift to the donee.Id.For delivery to occur, thedonor must “surrender completedominion and control of thegift”to the donee. Yes it was an intervivos gift to you while she was alive under Tennessee law.
Expert:  Ray replied 1 year ago.
I see no basis for anyone to claim otherwise here. Thanks again I appreciate the chance to help . If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.

Related Real Estate Law Questions