How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socallegalwork Your Own Question
socallegalwork, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 144
Experience:  Attorney and licensed real estate broker (and Certified Distressed Property Expert), specializing in real estate matters.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
socallegalwork is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just received a special assessment from condo association for

Customer Question

Just received a special assessment from condo association for repairs needed. Problem is the repairs being made are the same repairs I did on my own to my unit when the condo association told me they did not have any reserves to make the repairs to my unit. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like you made a request for reimbursement, which the board has failed to approve, is simply ignoring or giving you the "run around." Now, the board is assessing you for necessary repairs, except these are the same repairs you already made and, presumably, no longer need done.You should make sure your position has been stated clearly to the board in writing- i.e. that these repairs were already made and that you feel you should be reimbursed for them. The fact that they are now scheduling the same repairs and are assessing owners for the repairs, basically is signaling to you that they feel the repairs should be borne by the individual owners. You have a few courses of action. The first would be to review your condo association's bylaws and determine the procedure to have this issue made part of the agenda at the next association meeting. There should be a procedure in place where you are allowed to state your case and present any supporting evidence and the matter should then be voted on. You will want to be prepared to cite to the associations bylaws and rules that support your position that the subject repairs are the responsibility of the association and you are entitled to reimbursement. I don't know how often meetings are held by your association, but you should attempt to resolve it through the association process if practicable before pursuing the matter in court (likely small claims court), which would be your second option. Keep a written record of all of your communications with the board- save all correspondence received from them, keep copies of what you send them, keep invoices of the work you had performed, etc. You will need this stuff if you pursue the matter. Good luck to you!
Expert:  socallegalwork replied 1 year ago.
Hopefully I was able to answer your inquiry. If not, please let me know. I want to make sure you have the information you needed. If I did answer your inquiry, please rate me so I know that your question has been answered.