How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 117375
Experience:  Licensed attorney practicing landlord-tenant, land use and other real estate law and litigation.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have hired a construction company to build a porch and roof

Customer Question

We have hired a construction company to build a porch and roof our mobile home. The owner of the company was in constant contact with us prior to signing the contract and paying $7500 as a down payment. No phone calls are being answered or texts since the contract was signed.
Concerned that is this company does not follow through what recourse do we have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If he took your money and then stopped replying and has shown no interest in doing the work, your first step is to report him to the police claiming theft by fraud, since it is apparent from his refusal to communicate that he had no intention of following through with the contract. If the police refuse and claim it is a civil matter, your next step is a complaint to the state contractor's board and also the state attorney general's office consumer protection unit. If they cannot resolve the matter, your final recourse is filing a civil suit against the contractor for breach of contract and unfair and deceptive business practices which can entitle you to up to triple damages plus attorney's fees.

Related Real Estate Law Questions