How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barrister Your Own Question
Barrister, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 37377
Experience:  16 years real estate, Realtor. Landlord 26 years
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Barrister is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved in this house,and had knowhere to send rent to or a

Customer Question

I moved in this house,and had knowhere to send rent to or a lease agreement in search of finding this out,I went to the government building for that and found that the owner owes taxes for a year he hasn't paid them. So he finally emailed me and we agreed over the phonew as a 1000 dwn and 650mnth for 6m then go into a land contract deal. So I would like to know if I can put those monies for rent in an escrow account til correct documents and his taxes are up to date plus he's trying to do business with me from Texas.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question..If he agrees to allow you to put that money in escrow, the there wouldn't be any problem in doing so. But legally, even if he is behind on his taxes, he can still demand the rent from a tenant because his tax issues don't have anything to do with him renting out the property. .But from a practical perspective, if he is in TX, then it is probably unlikley that he would come back to file an eviction against you or has the money to hire an attorney to do so if you were to put the money in a savings account sitting there waiting on him to get all the paperwork to you for the land contract...thanksBarrister

Related Real Estate Law Questions