Richard, Lawyer
Experience:  32 years of experience as lawyer in Texas. I'm also a Real Estate developer.
17027240

I am selling my home myself and will close with an attorney.

Customer Question

I am selling my home myself and will close with an attorney. The contracts states 45 day close. Inspection was done within a week of signing, no repair requests were made. Appraisal done April 11, report received April13. Repair request not given to me until April 29. I requested it several times.
Closing was to have been on or before May 3. Buyer has not formally requested an extension. No addendum has been created or signed. May I cancel the contract?
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Tina. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you. If the buyer has failed to close on or before the closing date, then you, as the seller, can terminate the contract. You have no legal obligation to grant any extension of the closing date to the buyer. You need only provide the prospective buyer written notice that the buyer did not close on or before the closing date and that as a result you are providing written notice of the termination of the contract. Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!