J. Warren
J. Warren, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience in residential real estate and commercial leases.
64316804

I just received papers from florida about a civil suit against

Customer Question

i just received papers from florida about a civil suit against me for 2870.00. last year i fell behind a few months on my hoa i did send in the payments with the late fees included and i tried to fax the copies of the checks to the law office but they did not want to hear any thing from me. How can i fix this with out it costing me a fortune to proof i did pay
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.I am sorry you are dealing with this situation. If you received a summons and complaint to appear in a civil case you must respond and file an answer or else the HOA can take a default judgment against you for failing to answer and to contest the case.Unfortunately, if a suit has been filed the only way to fix it is defend the case based on the fact you did pay. If you retain local counsel and prevail the attorney fees may have to be paid by the HOA. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (3 stars or more). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right.
Expert:  J. Warren replied 1 year ago.
Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).