How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 4183
Experience:  30 years of experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an abusive boyfriend that is trying to throw my out

Customer Question

I have an abusive boyfriend that is trying to throw my out of his house and need to know my legal rights. he owns the home and I have changed the locks I have lived here for 3 years
JA: Real Estate issues can be tricky and expensive. The Real Estate Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no I have not\
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Real Estate Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Real Estate Lawyer should know?
Customer: That's it. He owes me money or I would move out.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Real Estate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question. If you have lived there for three years and have this identified as your residence then he may not engage in self help to remove you. He must go through the Court eviction process. If he contacts the police to remove you they will not do so. Rather they will tell him that it is a civil matter and that he must go to court to have you evicted. If he does take you to court you will be notified with a Summons and Complaint. At the time you receive that document you need to file an answer to it. At that time you can also file a cross complaint for the money that he owes you. However, you must know that once he initiates the eviction process it is only a matter of time before he can have you removed. If he owns the property he will be permitted to evict you but he will have to go through the court process. Taht process can take 3 to 9 months depending on the court's docket. I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday. Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.Good luck. Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing. Kind regards,Gerald