How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 7407
Experience:  Lawyer- Broker 30+years - foreclosure, short sale, liens, title attorney.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in an apartment complex which past 18 or so

Customer Question

I live in an apartment complex which for the past 18 or so months has been undergoing a major renovation. It has come to my attention that some residents received considerable concessions on their rent as compensation for the noise, dirt, etc. Others received less or nothing at all. I find this grossly unfair. As a renter, do I have a legal position to demand that their concessions be the same across the board? Not all pay the same amount obviously but it seems to me that a standard formula for the concession, based on the amount of rent normally paid, would be the only fair way to compensate the renters.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Real Estate Law
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
Your neighbor probably negotiated with the management for a greater discount. There is no rule of law that says that the management has to treat each apartment the same as the others, or even fairly for that matter. Some of the tenants probably became "squeaky wheels", and thereby got better treatment. You may be able to do the same thing, or at least find out that there is some kind of formula at work, which may explain why you are getting less than the neighbor. Good luck finding out what's happening.
Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.
If you have no further questions about this matter, please enter a positive rating for my assistance. Thank you for using JUST ANSWER